Canva, the world’s only all-in-one visual communication platform, today announced the launch of a suite of new primary and secondary school education products as part of its Canva for Education platform, making it the first company to introduce AI-powered tools at scale.
This new suite of products – which includes a range of AI tools, interactive lessons, and curriculum-supporting content – takes Canva from a classroom design tool to an end-to-end platform capable of producing and teaching complete lessons with ease. The launch coincides with the company surpassing more than 50 million education users worldwide, a figure that has more than doubled in the last 12 months.
In the UK, Canva for Education has become a widely adopted tool for classrooms, with 200,000 users in the UK alone. Examples of members include United Learning and Northumberland.
“Today marks the most significant leap forward in our journey with education to date. These new products evolve Canva from a classroom design tool to a comprehensive learning platform for students and educators,” said Cameron Adams, Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer of Canva. “We’re incredibly excited to see how these tools help millions of teachers to supercharge their creativity, save time, and engage their students by embracing the best of what this new technology has to offer.”
Introducing Classroom Magic – a suite of groundbreaking AI learning tools
The rapid advancement of artificial intelligence unlocks a myriad of opportunities for teachers and students to supercharge their creativity, save time on mundane work and unlock new ways of thinking in an increasingly digital world. Today, Canva is introducing Classroom Magic – a suite of new artificial intelligence tools designed for the classroom with privacy, trust, and safety at the forefront.
These new tools empower teachers to effortlessly manage lesson planning, content editing, document reformatting, image and text editing, multilingual support and accessibility. For students, the tools unlock new ways of starting first drafts, testing ideas, reformatting content, editing images and bringing creativity to life in a visual world. Teachers now have access to the full suite of Canva’s Magic Studio products, with a subset now available for students at the discretion of the school board, trust or management. The new products include:
- Magic Write: Save time drafting content by starting with a simple prompt. Generate lesson plans, summarise complex concepts, brainstorm ideas or rewrite content in seconds.
- Magic Animate: Bring videos and presentations to life with seamless animations. Captivate the classroom by updating entire pages with eye-catching transitions, made possible with one click.
- Magic Switch: Transform whiteboard brainstorms into documents or presentations with just a click, or turn a presentation into a website or video to suit different styles.
- Magic Grab Images: Seamlessly create picture-perfect content with effortless editing. Select the subject of an image to edit, reposition or resize it.
- Magic Grab Text: Gone are the days of manually rewriting a photo of the whiteboard. Instantly grab text out of photos of documents or screenshots to edit or use across other designs.
- Translate: Make teaching and learning easy in every language. Instantly convert designs into different languages with more than 100 options to pick from.
“As we witness the ongoing technological revolution, classrooms across the globe need to adapt. Canva’s Magic Studio platform provides educators and students access to user-friendly and comprehensive tools fit for a future that relies heavily on visual communications and artificial intelligence,” said Petia Maximova, Canva for Education EMEA Lead. “Today’s launch marks one of the most significant milestones in Canva’s journey with education to date. We can’t wait to partner with more schools across the UK and Europe, and help students and teachers unleash their creativity, increase engagement and help save time in the classroom.”
Introducing Classroom Magic: Create and teach engaging lessons
Canva for Education has become a widely adopted tool in classrooms worldwide. Today, the platform is used by millions of students and teachers for everything from creating presentations to adding a creative flair to assignments. With the introduction of Canva’s new Lesson Suite, the company is offering a range of new tools designed to help teachers save hours of preparation by delivering creative, engaging and interactive lessons directly within Canva. Lesson Suite includes:
- Canva Lesson Builder: Teachers can now create and deliver custom and fully sequenced lessons to keep students engaged.
- Curricular Lessons: A range of new customisable, ready-to-teach lessons designed to support primary and secondary curriculums across Maths, Science, English and Art.
- Future Skills Lessons: A range of real-world courses to equip students with skills from financial literacy to AI. Created in partnership with experts like NASA and The New York Times.
- Canva Education Library: Over 5,000 new free classroom resources across Math, Science, Art and Design curriculums. Teachers can browse lessons by grade, subject and topic.
- Design Accessibility Checker: Instantly check the accessibility of presentations and videos to ensure they meet diverse learning needs. With one click, add automatic alt-text and adjust contrast.
Canva Shield – safe, private, and responsible artificial intelligence
Starting today, schools will have the option of enabling the Classroom Magic products for students across their schools while maintaining a strict level of oversight. With these launches, Canva is at the forefront of the safe integration of artificial intelligence in the classroom. Canva Shield creates a safe and secure environment for students and educators to harness the power of AI with peace of mind.
Canva Shield encompasses several industry-leading safety measures. Ranging from a range of robust trust and safety features, reporting functionality, automatic content moderation and the strict protection of student and teacher data – Canva is committed to setting a leading example for the safe and responsible introduction of this technology in classrooms around the world. The company is committed to not training its proprietary AI models on any education data. Canva Shield for the classroom also includes:
- Advanced Educator Controls: School administrators can set permissions for access to AI tools.
- Automatic Reviews: Automatically review input prompts to prevent any inappropriate material.
- Blocked Terms: Thousands of words are blocked to ensure AI content is safe for school use.
- Reporting Options: The ability to report and block any potentially unwanted terms or content.
Students and teachers now make up a third of the Canva community
Since launching in 2019, Canva for Education has evolved into a holistic, end-to-end resource for educators. Canva firmly believes in levelling the playing field, ensuring that every classroom, regardless of its location or resources, has equal access to cutting-edge technology, completely free of charge.
Canva is committed to closing the AI knowledge gap for teachers by launching a number of free resources and enablement materials to help teachers get the most out of this technology. Teachers have free access to Canva’s Design School resources which has a suite of information on how to best use AI.
Canva’s community of students and teachers has grown exponentially, soaring to 50 million, a figure that has more than doubled in the past year. This surge underscores the platform’s growing influence and adoption, reinforcing the proliferation of design and visual communication in classrooms around the world. These new products, now empowering over 600,000 schools, are ushering in a new era and making education more accessible and engaging than ever before.